This post is a draft that I’m writing in public. So nevermind the mess below 🙊. If you want to get updated about new posts, please subscribe for my monthly inspirational newsletter.
With our ongoing metabolic crisis causing diabetes, obesity, cancer and liver failure (among others) caused by our toxic food supply that’s devoid of animal fats and proteins, the healthcare system doesn’t matter. The solution is simple though: eat real food.
Big Food, as the multinational food and beverage industry with huge and concentrated market power is called, doesn’t want you to eat healthy. It wants you to eat as much as possible so they can make more profit.
You won't believe the benefits you get from ditching them.
— P. D. Mangan 🇺🇸 (@Mangan150) July 7, 2019
It’s actually dead simple. You should eat foods that nature intended for you to eat to be healthy and lean. Not the foods that Big Food wants you to eat.
It makes complete sense why our healthcare system is so fucked up.
Nutrition is the ROOT CAUSE of almost everything.
And doctors only take 1 or 2 classes in nutrition.
Instead they're trained to identify symptoms and write prescriptions to treat them.
It's all backwards.
— Carnivore Aurelius © (@KetoAurelius) July 19, 2019
If the label says ‘refined’ or ‘processed’, you shouldn’t buy it and you shouldn’t eat it. Even if it’s on the safe list or the label says it’s healthy.
Anyone eating healthy doesn't need "recipes". Just eat meat, eggs, fish, veg etc. Minimal complexity and prep time. pic.twitter.com/a9bJgQrztK
— P. D. Mangan 🇺🇸 (@Mangan150) January 30, 2019
Maybe most people are aware of this and know they should eat real food. But what is real food and what isn’t? I am struggling with this question, too. I’m compiling an (undefinetive) list here. Sources are Menno Henselmans, P.D. Mangan and Healthline.
If you want to make a suggestion, please comment on this tweet or leave it in the comments.
The full hierarchy of foods is based on their effects on your physique and health.
I divided it into three categories:
- Diet staples: foods you should base you diet on 🥑
- Okay stuff: foods you can eat with moderation 🥛
- Harmful crap: foods you should avoid 🍞
- Unprocessed organ meats: liver and kidney
- Fish: salmon, tuna, oysters, sardines, mackerel, cod and herring
- Vegetables: broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, peas, artichokes, carrots, kale, asparagus, beetroot, unions, celery, pumpkins, tomatoes, garlic, green beans, eggplants, bell peppers, chicories, cauliflowers, courgettes and maize
- Berries: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and cranberries
- Dairy: kefir, yogurts, quark, whole milk and cheeses
- Oils: extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, ghee and lard
- Unprocessed red meat: steak and ground meat
- Herbs & spices
- Drinks: drinking water, decaff coffee, decaff tea, herbal tea,
- Whole fruits: bananas, apples, kiwifruits, pineapples, grapefruits, mangos, lemons, watermelons, oranges, grapes, guavas, papayas and cherries
- Poultry: chicken and turkey
- Traditional whole grains: sourdough bread, ezekiel bread, fermented oatmeal, soaked rice
- Sprouted legumes: chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, black beans, soybeans, peanuts
- Nuts: almonds, pistachios, walnuts, cashews, pecans, macadamias, brazil nuts and hazelnuts
- Seeds: chia seeds, flaxseeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
- Fermented soy products: natto, tempeh
- Chocolate: 80+% pure chocolate
- Broth: unprocessed stock, gelatin
- Pure coconut products: coconut butter and coconut milk
- Non-wheat processed whole grains: sorghum, quinoa, millet, oats, buckwheat and corn
- Alcohol-free wine
- Dairy: skimmed milk
- White rice and brown rice
- Non-wheat flour: almond flour, buckweat flour and sorghum flour
- Chocolate: milk chocolate and white chocolate
- Artificial sweeteners
- Drinks: diet sodas
- Non-sourdough wheat products: pasta, and non-traditional prepared bread
- Non-fermented soy products: tofu, soy milk and veggie burgers
- Heat processed vegetable oils: canola oil, sunflower oil, linseed oil, soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil, grape seed oil, trans oils, palm oil and margarine.
- Processed red meats: hot dogs, hams, bacon, sausages, salami and corned beef
- Alcohol: beer, wine and liquor
- Tobacco: cigarettes and cigares
- Snacks: candy bars and potato chips
- Meal replacement products
- Drinks: sodas
- Cakes and pies